IGT Patent Engineer in Las Vegas, Nevada
Req No. 17268BR
Job Posting Title Patent Engineer
Location NV - Las Vegas
Employment Status Full Time
We are looking for a unique individual who combines a deep level of knowledge and experience of gaming products and applications with a curiosity to understand technology markets, product implementations and the underlying trends driving them, with a passion for creative, strategic thinking and an interest in learning about patents and, more generally, licensing intellectual property.
Candidates for this position should have a strong background in gaming systems, including online gaming, with a focus on mobile delivery of games and underlying networking technologies supporting content development and delivery. Additional knowledge of electromechanical systems, imaging and display technologies, user interface design, digital payment techniques and game/player management systems is required. A base level of knowledge of operating systems, security methods for identity and access management, fraud detection, network security, device security, cloud storage, high availability of networks and systems, and digital rights management is highly valued.
Exemplary responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
• Identifying and analyzing patents in IGT’s portfolio that may be relevant to technologies that are being deployed and/or used widely in industry or incorporated in consumer products.
• Adept at searching for and finding relevant product specifications, user manuals, marketing materials, blogs, white papers and any publicly available information that supports findings of use of IGT’s patented technology.
• Performing analysis, reverse engineering, testing and investigations on technologies that are being deployed and or used widely in industry or incorporated in consumer products.
• Maintaining your technical skill set and hands-on subject matter expertise in the technologies that are being deployed and/or used widely in industry or in consumer products.
• Researching emerging technology areas, including working with IGT engineering teams, to identify critical areas of technology that will be important to IGT in the future.
• Working closely with licensing executives, engineering and business development teams across IGT’s businesses, and providing technical support and expertise for patent prosecution and to litigation attorneys in support of IGT’s patent development, licensing programs, litigation efforts and acquisition efforts.
• Contributing to IGT’s product strategy development process by applying your technical proficiency and creative problem solving skills to recognize market trends, product opportunities and competitive threats.
• Reviewing patent applications during key points during the patent lifecycle and provide detailed guidance on prosecution, international filing decisions, continuations, abandonments, etc.
• Analyzing 3rd party patent portfolios for acquisition, and conducting such analyses to support patent licensing negotiations or litigation.
• Reviewing potential ideas coming from inventors within IGT and providing input on which ideas should be patented.
• Assisting with managing and reviewing work product of external vendors that provide patent portfolio analysis, patent mapping services and evidence of use for infringement analysis.
First Year Goals
• Ideal candidates will have at least 5 years prior work and/or research experience in the gaming and networking technology areas listed above, with a keen sense for broader market applications of those technologies.
• Ideal candidates will have experience in identifying the use of patented technology by being able to interpret claims language and how that language may read against products available in the market. The candidate will have knowledge of market participants and an ability to use their products.
• Ideal candidates will also have prior hardware/software development experience in a product or research environment, and will have experience with competitive analysis, source code review, black box testing, and reverse engineering.
• For candidates with operating systems background, experience with operating systems such as Android, iOS/MacOS, Linux, and BSD variants is valued.
• Strong communication and presentation skills, with the ability to explain complex systems to diverse audiences.
• Demonstrated ability to partner on projects with others, working across organizations.
• Experience in patent analysis and/or supporting patent licensing activities is required.
• Proficiency in use of online tools to conduct patent searches and interpret results.
• Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office and an ability to ramp quickly on a variety of analytical tools.
• At least a B.S. degree (M.S./Ph.D or equivalent experience) in electrical engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or similar area, or significant work experience in hardware/software development or testing and/or technical program management.
• General understanding of obtaining patents, the legal principles used when asserting patents and interpreting claims language.
• 5+ years’ work and/or research experience with software development and analysis.
Keys To Success
• Drive results to achieve high-quality work results regardless of work complexity.
• Build collaborative relationships both internally and externally
• Decision making to identify and understand situations; identify opportunities to proactively resolve.
• Personal energy to proactively address situations and adopt a positive approach; resilience in front of change and obstacles.
• Self-leadership to continuously learn and develop oneself
• Foster innovation